With the 149th Kentucky Derby around the corner and $274 million wagered on the race last year, the personalfinance website WalletHub today released a pair of reports, one showcasing fun facts about the first leg of the Triple Crown and another analyzing which states have the biggest gambling problems, with expert commentary.
2023 Kentucky Derby Facts & History:
• 150K – Number of attendees expected for the 2023 Kentucky Derby (15 times more compared to the first race in 1875).
• $78 Million – Net revenue increase due to the Kentucky Derby & Oaks in 2022.
• $274 Million – Total amount wagered on the 2022 Kentucky Derby (9% more than the previous record in 2019).
• $250 to $1,000 – Price of a high-end Kentucky Derby hat (90% of female spectators wear hats).
• 120K – Number of Mint Juleps served over Kentucky Derby weekend, requiring 1K pounds of fresh mint and 60K pounds of ice.
• 522,000 – Number of cans of beer that will be consumed. 142,000 hot dogs will be eaten.
• $1.28 Billion – Sales of thoroughbred horses in 2022 (up 11% from 2021).